Thursday, April 11, 2013

Mainstream Dysfunctional



I want to be dysfunctional just like you
I know I’m dysfunctional in my own way too
But my kind of dysfunctional, just won’t do
I need to be dysfunctional, just like you

You’re mainstream dysfunctional, that’s what you are
You may be out of whack, but you seem to be on par
With the rest of the screwed up, sozzled planet
You’re so well aligned; tell me, did you plan it?

You’re mainstream dysfunctional, in everything you do
It seems like the same things I do, but something’s askew
You’re completely besotted, with one thing, and then the next
And at the same time you’re so unbelievably detached; it leaves me very vexed

Your life is an open door, but I can’t come in
You tell me I’m not losing, but there’s no way I can win
You’re sort of okay with the way you are, except you can’t stand it
And there’s nothing you want to do, not even understand it

You’d rather not disturb the status quo
Let the dust settle on it until you can’t see it anymore
You act like you’re fine, and maybe you are
There’s no way for me to tell while standing so far

And there are a thousand other quirks you’re allowed
The thousand perks you share with the crowd
And the dysfunctional way in which you deal with things
And how the dysfunctionality gives you wings

You get to think you’re alone, when you’re not
You get to be oblivious of the common plot
You believe that these experiences are only for you
It’s all part of the mainstream view

And while I get this all in theory, and used to practice some of it too
I don’t feel as comfortable with it, as you
There’s this stagnancy in that way of dysfunction, one that I abhor
There’s this forever and ever quality, one that I yearn for

I can’t want to be functional; it’s too much to ask
And working towards it is an uphill task
But mainstream dysfunctional seems like a feasible goal
I know it can’t be that hard, to be an asshole

And so I want to be dysfunctional just like you
The kind of dysfunctional that’s good for you
My kind, certainly isn't working out
At least not as long as yours is up and about

1 comment: